Hurricane Harvey had a disastrous impact on Texas. North Carolina Baptists on Mission are on the ground serving in Nederland, Texas (near Beaumont). This area experienced quite a bit of flooding. NCBOM are already preparing and serving up to 20,000 meals per day. In addition they will provide cleanup/recovery, shower unit, laundry unit, generator, Medical Reserve Corps team, Chaplaincy, assessment, and a host of other support teams and equipment. Given the extent of damage to the region, this work will continue for weeks and months ahead. They need our help!
There are three ways you can help:
1) PRAY. Please pray for the people and churches in this region. Pray that hurting people will see God in this. Pray for the safety of the volunteers.
2) GO. OBC will assemble a team to go to Nederland, TX to assist the NCBOM Disaster Relief response. We are in need of adult male and female volunteers, trained or untrained, to go serve in whatever capacity needed for the week of September 25-30th. We will leave OBC at 2:00am on September 25th and we will get home on Saturday night, September 30th. If you are interested in going, please contact Ronnie Bullins at (336) 432-2412 before 5pm on Sunday, September 17th. We have a lot of logistics to work out so the deadline is important. We will also meet to discuss the details prior to departure.
3) GIVE. There are two ways you can give:
– You can give electronically at www.baptistsonmission.org. Just click on the Hurricane Harvey image on their webpage and then click on donate.
– We will be collecting the following non-perishable items at OBC on Sunday, September 17th and Sunday, September 24th. Drop off at the van in front of the Worship Center before each service.
– Hygiene kits: Use a 1-gallon sealable/Ziploc plastic bag and fill with a variety of the following items: Soap, Lotion, Shampoo, Deodorant, Washcloth, Comb/Brush, Facial tissue, Shaving cream, Razor, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, and Feminine hygiene products.
– First Aid Kits: Purchased (for up to $10) at various grocery and drug stores
– Diapers and Formula: all ages, sizes, etc.
PLEASE NOTE: We will NOT accept – Water, Bleach, or Clothing